Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp embedded browser Feature - Chromium sandbox issue

Mohammed | Last updated: Jul 19, 2020 05:21PM UTC

Hi team , Thanks for the embedded browser feature on burp . I was running burp on linux instance, Getting error while accessing burp embedded browser feature (v2020.7) Error message : " net.portswigger.devtools.client.a: Refusing to start browser as your configuration does not support running without sandbox " Im acting as root user on the instance, i faced similar issue while accessing chromium but it can fixed by "chromium --no-sandbox" but in burp suite where i need to configure this option to launch burp embedded browser ( i mean to say sandbox disabled chromium) Thanks in advance for your support ..

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 20, 2020 08:46AM UTC

Our recommended course of action would be to adjust your permissions to allow the browser to run in sandbox mode. Would you be able to perform the following steps, and feedback on if it resolved your issue? 1. Execute the following; find .BurpSuite -name chrome-sandbox -exec chown root:root {} \; -exec chmod 4755 {} \; 2. Start Burp Suite as a non-root user 3. Run the browser-health check.

Marilians | Last updated: Aug 28, 2020 11:16AM UTC

Hi Liam, Thanks, it worked.

Luis | Last updated: Sep 21, 2020 02:43PM UTC

I'm running Burp on Kali Linux and getting the same error message. I executed the following; find .BurpSuite -name chrome-sandbox -exec chown root:root {} \; -exec chmod 4755 {} \; and still receiving the error. How do I start Burp as non-root user?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 22, 2020 07:43AM UTC

Just ensure you aren't using a root account on your machine. - https://hostadvice.com/how-to/how-to-create-a-non-root-user-on-ubuntu-18-04-server/

Eugene | Last updated: Jan 12, 2021 08:32PM UTC

Hello, I am running burp suite on a Kali VM, and use the root account when working with it. Is it possible to give the sandbox permission to run using the root account?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 13, 2021 01:24PM UTC

Chromium itself doesn’t allow you to run it as root due to security reasons (principle of least privilege). In our case, the way to get around this is to run without the sandbox but this is also considered insecure as it removes some of the protections that a sandboxed environment provides.

mtajh | Last updated: Sep 19, 2021 10:50AM UTC

Anyone had a similar issue resolved on a macbook os bigsur?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 20, 2021 08:59AM UTC

Hi mtajh, could you provide some more detail on the issue you are currently experiencing?

Ahmad | Last updated: Oct 03, 2021 03:00PM UTC

Got an automatic update to 2021-8-4 after restarting I am getting the same message as the original poster. Burp Version 2021.8.4 Build Number 9894 Burp Browser Version 94.0.4606.61

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 04, 2021 10:17AM UTC

Hi Ahmad, Just to clarify - you also receive the "Refusing to start browser as your configuration does not support running without sandbox" error message? If so, are you running Burp as the root user on your machine?

Sami | Last updated: Feb 27, 2022 02:24AM UTC

This solution worked for me: https://thedarksource.com/solve-burp-suite-embedded-browser-sandbox-error/ Enable Embedded browser

Nailton | Last updated: Sep 08, 2022 03:50PM UTC

Hello. I also had this problem recently and, to solve it, I did the installation without being a root user and the browser opened normally.

Max | Last updated: Mar 22, 2023 08:25PM UTC

How to install burpsuite without it's embedded browser? I can not install it on linux (Using FreeBSD compat linux system). Everything install then it says it failed to install the embedded browser. I don't even use their embedded browser, BurpSuite should give an option to let us decide if we would like the embedded browser to be installed or not.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 23, 2023 08:47AM UTC

Hi Max, You cannot decouple the embedded browser from the installation process, I am afraid - out of interest, what errors are you getting at that point in the installation? I think it is fair to say that we do not test Burp on FreeBSD so getting this setup is likely to be a matter of trial and error. Out of interest, what happens if you attempt to run the standalone Jar file version of Burp?

popescu | Last updated: Jun 02, 2023 08:32PM UTC

Hi my browser is loading and loading and loading and i dont know what to do i tried to swich to crome but its the same it sais i have no internet conection Can some one help me ? PS: TY

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 05, 2023 06:41AM UTC

Hi, Are you able to provide us with some screenshots (of the browser and of Burp) to illustrate the behaviour that you are seeing so that we have a better understanding of what is happening?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.