Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Burp 2023.1 - all HTTP responses show as edited

Andres | Last updated: Jan 21, 2023 03:49AM UTC

Hi, In Burp 2023.1, all HTTP responses show as edited and I can select between original response and edited response in the Proxy HTTP history. However, there are no differences when comparing the two, i.e. the response has not actually been edited. All automatic response modification (e.g. "Response modification rules", "Match and replace rules") is disabled in the Proxy settings. I also tested without extensions, so it's not an extension causing it. This behavior started after updating to version 2023.1. I've been using the same set of extensions as with the previous Burp version.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 23, 2023 08:49AM UTC

Hi I've just tried to replicate this here, but so far I've not been able to replicate the problem. Can you drop an email to support@portswigger.net with details of the OS Burp is installed on and screenshots or a screen recording showing what you are seeing so we can try again to replicate it?

Andres | Last updated: Jan 26, 2023 01:02AM UTC

I found out what's causing it. It's an extension after all. The reason I didn't think it was an extension at first is because I toggled all extensions off and on one by one to try and find the culprit. However, it's not just one extension, it's four of them and there may be more that I don't have installed. The four extensions are: Logger++, Request Highlighter, Sharpener and HTTP Mock from the BApp store. Enabling any one of these extensions will trigger the bug. The author of Sharpener has released 3 new versions which may fix the issue, but the extension has not been updated in the BApp Store.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 26, 2023 10:22AM UTC

Thanks for the additional information. This matches a bug in the Early Adopter version of Burp where when some extensions are installed responses can incorrectly show as edited. We have already raised this with the developers. I've linked this thread to the bug report so we can let you know when there is an update.

Andres | Last updated: Feb 10, 2023 01:45AM UTC

The bug is fixed in Burp 2023.2.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 10, 2023 09:03AM UTC

Hi Thanks for confirming that's now working for you :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.