Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Brupsuite prompting to enter License Key while running through cmd line with use .jar

Aslam | Last updated: Jul 30, 2021 09:40AM UTC

I have a licensed Burpsuite Professional, and it's running fine if I use it through the .exe shortcut. But when I'm running it through the cmd line using its .jar, it prompts me to enter the license key. I'm entering the same license key through which I update my license in the burp suite. but it shows me, provides license key is not recognized. The same license key is working fine if I update my license by opening burpsuite using it .exe shortcut by going to the help tab and updating the license from there. But the same license is not acceptable using the cmd line.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 30, 2021 10:17AM UTC

Hi Aslam, Can you please email support@portswigger.net with the information below? - Screenshots of the cmd when you attempt to run the JAR - A snippet of your license key - Which version of Burp are you running? (Both the .exe and the JAR)

Ger | Last updated: Oct 18, 2021 09:36AM UTC

I seem to have the same problem. I always run the jar file through a Bash script for the proper JVM settings. Nothing changed, but suddenly Burp asks for a license and does not accept my valid license file ("The supplied license key was not recognized."). If I revert back to an older version, the same problem persists. Any pointer as to how I can solve this would be helpful. Maybe it is JVM version related? Burp version burpsuite_pro_v2021.8.4.jar.

Ger | Last updated: Oct 18, 2021 09:45AM UTC

For others having the same problem: This was fixed for me by switching to OpenJDK 11. I was using OpenJDK 17 without problems, but this particular bug seems to be caused by the newer OpenJDK version.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 18, 2021 01:33PM UTC

Hi Ger,

Thanks for sharing that.

Can you clarify what is inside your bash script? Can you replicate it on the packaged version of Burp? i.e. installed via the Linux .sh script

Which JDK version do you believe is causing this issue? Can you please email us with some full steps to replicate or a screen recording?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.