Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

[Beta v2.0.03beta] Warning when starting Burp on OSX

Sylvain | Last updated: Sep 04, 2018 05:12AM UTC

Hi, Just started testing the new beta and I really like the new dashboard look. I am running it on a fully updated OSX with fully updated JAVA. Everything seems to work fine (although slow, and I will add another bug entry). However, when I start burp using java -jar on a command prompt from a user with admin privilege (but not using sudo java -jar... not sure if that's required), I am getting those warnings: ------------------------ WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred WARNING: Illegal reflective access by burp.fr_ (file:/Users/xorsum/Private/svain-xor/Software/Burp/burpsuite_pro_v2.0.01beta.jar) to field javax.crypto.JceSecurity.isRestricted WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of burp.fr_ WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release Your JRE appears to be version 10.0.2 from Oracle Corporation Burp has not been fully tested on this platform and you may experience problems. ------------------ So it would seem there is an "illegal-access" being done that may not work in future... will it be a problem? And that the standard/official JRE may not be supported/tested... is that a problem? and if so what JRE should I be using... I prefer to use the latest and official version. Please note that for my day to day operation I just use the installed non beta version of burp, so I don't see any warnings as I do not start it from the command prompt. Thanks. Sylvain.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 04, 2018 08:02AM UTC

Thanks for letting us know about this. The recommended Java version for Burp is the latest Java 8. Informally, it appears that almost everything works with Java 9 and 10, but we have some work to do to tidy up minor issues like this warning.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.