Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Backup file deleted when running automatic project file repair

Martin | Last updated: Nov 10, 2022 06:17AM UTC

Hello, I just had a bunch of scans running, when the PC ran out of resources and crashed. (Environment: Windows 10 22H2, Burp Suite Professional v2022.9.5) After restarting the PC, upon loading the original project file, Burp detected a corrupted file, and prompted me for a repair. Apparently, when I agreed to attempt a repair, Burp Suite Pro determined that as a 'clean shutdown' and deleted the backup. What's the point in having a backup, when Burp Suite deletes it in the very situation, when it detects that there's actually a problem?

Martin | Last updated: Nov 10, 2022 06:26AM UTC

Actually after trying to reproduce this myself, it looks like Burp Suite crashed while it attempted to create a backup. So there probably was no backup file after rebooting the PC. Does Burp Suite Pro delete the old backup file, before it finished writing the new one?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 11, 2022 02:52PM UTC

Hi Your backup settings are configurable. There is an option available to determine whether backup files are deleted on clean shutdown of Burp. Could you double-check your settings and tell me what you have set? You can find these options under "User options > Misc > Automatic project backup".

Martin | Last updated: Nov 12, 2022 08:52PM UTC

It is set to delete backup files on clean shutdown, but like I said above, there was no clean shutdown in my situation.

Martin | Last updated: Nov 12, 2022 10:20PM UTC

Hello, I just noticed that Burp Suite Pro v2022.9.6 is throwing many "can't rename backup" errors today after attempting to create new automatic backups. That's new. I didn't change anything in settings.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 14, 2022 10:30AM UTC

Hi Could you drop us an email at support@portswigger.net with your diagnostics information? You can find this by going to "Help > Diagnostics" within Burp. Could you check that you have performance feedback enabled (User options > Misc > Performance feedback) or that you have error logging to a local file enabled? If the latter, could you reproduce the error and send us the log file generated along with your diagnostics information?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.