Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

automatic addition of the \r character when copy a newline character (\n)

abdelaaziz | Last updated: Oct 07, 2023 09:01AM UTC

I hope this message finds you well. I'm currently experiencing a peculiar issue with Burp Suite that I would like to address. When I copy a newline character (\n) and then paste it into a text field, Burp Suite automatically appends a carriage return (\r) character, resulting in \r\n (CRLF) being inserted. This behavior is causing unexpected formatting and issues with my requests. I have reviewed the configuration settings in Burp Suite but haven't been able to find an option that directly controls this behavior. Is there a specific configuration setting or a workaround to prevent this automatic addition of the \r character when pasting a newline character? Any guidance or assistance in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and support. Sincerely

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 09, 2023 09:00AM UTC

Hi We normalize line endings to "\r\n" in Burp. If you're using HTTP/1 and the Repeater tool, you can disable this normalization by going to either "Settings > Repeater > Message modification" or the "Repeater" menu bar item and deselecting "Normalize HTTP/1 line endings".

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.