Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Apostrophe in path breaks Python extensions

Jarrod | Last updated: Sep 03, 2021 04:59AM UTC

It looks like the apostrophe in my username stops Python extensions from working, below is the error message when trying to enable an extension - Is there a way to change the bapps directory? SyntaxError: ("no viable alternative at input 'Connell'", ('<string>', 1, 29, "os.chdir('C:\\\\Users\\\\JO'Connell\\\\AppData\\\\Roaming\\\\BurpSuite\\\\bapps\\\\a158fd3fc9394253be3aa0bc4c181d1f')\n"))

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 03, 2021 08:56AM UTC

Hi Jarrod, Thanks for reporting this. There is no way to change the default installation directory for BApps installed via the BApp Store at present, unfortunately. Please can you provide some more detail on your use case so that I can get a feature request raised for you? The error message you have shared is being reported by the extension itself. The developer will need to wrap the path in double quotation marks instead of single ones. Alternatively, they could add an 'r' to the start of the path retrieved from os.chdir (https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/python-os-chdir-method/). Which extension are you having an issue with? Can you share the name or a link to it so that I can attempt to replicate this?

Jarrod | Last updated: Sep 05, 2021 05:42AM UTC

Thanks for the quick response. It seems to happen for all Python extensions, such as 'Additional Scanner Checks' and 'Active Scan++'

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 06, 2021 01:05PM UTC

Apologies for misunderstanding your issue - our developers have just implemented a fix that will be in the next release! Thanks for reporting it and we will update this thread when the release is out.

Jarrod | Last updated: Oct 25, 2021 01:22AM UTC

I have noticed that this is still occurring in the latest 1.8.4 release, do you know when the fix will be published?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 25, 2021 10:23AM UTC

Hi Jarrod, This should be fixed in the 2021.9 'early adopter' version of Burp. You can obtain this release either directly from our releases page (and installing manually) or by setting your auto-update channel to 'Early Adopter' under User options -> Misc -> Updates within Burp itself.

Jarrod | Last updated: Oct 27, 2021 04:51AM UTC

Thanks Ben, It's working fine now with that version!

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.