Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

An unknown error occurred.

Erik | Last updated: Feb 11, 2021 09:11PM UTC

A few days ago burp will no longer allow my Firefox browser to load any pages. When I run ANYTHING through Burp, I get "An unknown error occurred.". I've tried clearing the cache. Firefox works fine when not using the proxy.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 12, 2021 08:56AM UTC

Hi Erik, Are you able to provide us with some additional information: - What version of Burp are you currently running? - Are you running the installed version of Burp or the standalone Jar file - If you are running one of the later versions of Burp, what happens if you try to browse to sites using the embedded browser (initiated from Proxy -> Intercept -> Open Browser)

Erik | Last updated: Feb 15, 2021 10:36AM UTC

- The embedded browser displays the same error. - I use 2021.2 - It's the installed version, not the standalone java version.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 15, 2021 02:41PM UTC

Hi Erik, Would you be able to send us an email at support@portswigger.net and include a screenshot of the error message that you are are seeing?

Erik | Last updated: Feb 16, 2021 08:42AM UTC

Sure, will do. Here's what happens in the log: 1613464523650 Error Proxy The client failed to negotiate a TLS connection to discover.moleant.com:443: Received fatal alert: bad_certificate

Erik | Last updated: Feb 16, 2021 08:43AM UTC

This happens for all certificates on ANY site ANYWHERE. And yes, the site and its certificate is fine and the site works.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.