Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

alternate native UI

Igor | Last updated: Apr 21, 2016 01:15AM UTC

Hi all, I am a visually impaired Burp user who unfortunately, cannot use Burp itself due to the native UI being completely unusable with screen readers. Therefore, I only have one remaining usability option; interact with the API via a Python console (assuming I can execute Jython from a terminal (which afaik is possible), and write scripts/interact with the interpreter directly to perform requisite functions. Alternatively, if all of Burp's native GUI functionality were exposed in the web UI, it may solve for the usability problem. I'm sure there are others that would appreciate something like this as well, given that no accessible equivalent alternatives seem to exist. Thanks.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 21, 2016 08:00AM UTC

We understand the limitations of Burp's current UI for visually impaired users. It is in our long-term roadmap to provide an edition of Burp that will be entirely accessed through a web interface, though this will not include all of the manual testing tools that the desktop edition of Burp provides. We don't currently have a firm ETA for the new edition.

Burp User | Last updated: Jun 14, 2016 04:19AM UTC

I too not able to use burpsuite using a screen reader. on Linux I am not able to use at all. on windows some how could listen its menus atleast. I tried free version. atleast commandline options seems to be good if developing gui takes long time. I also searched burpsuite manual also but usage through gui was described.

Burp User | Last updated: Jun 15, 2016 02:08PM UTC

Eventually Burp theme already knows about it, nevertheless, if not, here it goes: afaik the main UI of burp is made with Java Swing, there are some caveats with this, the screen readers as mentioned before cannot read the text in the UI, also when resizing the window it usually lead to "freezing" of the burp application for some seconds, additionally the overall performance of the UI is bad. Don't take mw wrong, I really do like burp and i think there is no other tool capable of producing the same quality, besides the UI, burp is the king. Now, there is a project from eclipse, called SWT, that allows one to create UI in java as well, the big diference here, is that SWT is actually a bindings library to the OS UI shell, meaning that the above issues would be solved, as burp would run almost like as a native application. Regards.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.