Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

A kind of Java Error!

Mr. | Last updated: Feb 21, 2022 05:21PM UTC

when I command "burpsuite" in Terminal, it gives error as: To run Burp Suite using Java 17+, please supply the following JVM argument: --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED So what can I do? I am using the Parallels on Mac M1 which has the arm64.

Mr. | Last updated: Feb 21, 2022 05:23PM UTC

My Java version: openjdk 17.0.2 2022-01-18 OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 17.0.2+8-Debian-1) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.2+8-Debian-1, mixed mode, sharing)

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 22, 2022 08:33AM UTC

Hi, Just to clarify, are you using a Kali Linux virtual machine and are launching Burp using the 'burpsuite' command that is used as standard with the Kali operating system?

Mr. | Last updated: Feb 22, 2022 03:14PM UTC

Yeah, I am using Virtual Machine with Parallels on Macbook air M1. I am trying to start the Burpsuite as the command of "burpsuite" as you said. so now?

Mr. | Last updated: Feb 22, 2022 03:27PM UTC

when I try to command that: java -jar --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED /usr/share/burpsuite/burpsuite.jar It's running. But I dont start it as a command 'burpsuite' if I it gives error: To run Burp Suite using Java 17+, please supply the following JVM argument: --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 22, 2022 06:39PM UTC

Hi, When you execute the 'burpsuite' command on Kali Linux you are actually running the 'burpsuite' script that is located under the /usr/bin directory. This, in turn, then executes the actual Burp Jar file located under the /usr/share/burpsuite directory. If you want to use Java 17 in conjunction with the 'burpsuite' command then the best option is probably to edit the 'burpsuite' script so that it reads as follows (you are adding the suggested parameters to the command being used to launch Burp in the script): run_java -jar --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED /usr/share/burpsuite/burpsuite.jar "$@"

Mr. | Last updated: Feb 23, 2022 08:51PM UTC

It starts just when I command that: run_java -jar --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED /usr/share/burpsuite/burpsuite.jar "$@" it does not work just 'burpsuite' command. Also when I click the program it gives the same error.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 24, 2022 07:46AM UTC

Hi, Have you changed the burpsuite script under the /usr/bin directory so that it contains the additional parameters, as I mentioned in my previous message?

Mr. | Last updated: Feb 24, 2022 06:12PM UTC

what do you mean? How can I change it? it's a jar file? I cannot open it??

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 24, 2022 07:20PM UTC

Hi, Can we just clarify the setup you have here. As noted in my previous messages, the default setup for the preconfigured version of Burp on the later versions of Kali is to have a burpsuite file located in the /usr/bin directory. This is a script file that is used to launch the Burp jar file, which is actually located in the /usr/shareburpsuite directory. When you enter 'burpsuite' in a terminal you are actually running this script (rather than running the Jar file directly) and launching Burp with the version of Java installed on your Kali machine. Have you changed the above in anyway? If not, you would need to alter the burpsuite script file in the manner that I previously described so that the command line flags are being used when Burp is launched (in order for Burp to successfully launch with Java 17). If you have changed the default setup can you clarify what you have changed?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.