Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

[2.0.0.1beta] Burp doesnt clean up after itself when closing

Chris | Last updated: Aug 27, 2018 02:30PM UTC

After working on any project and closing burp, when burp is reopened, you are always prompted with the "Delete old temporary files" popup. The only time I saw this on v1 is when burp crashed, which leads me to believe this is just a bug with v2

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 28, 2018 11:48AM UTC

Thanks for your message. Are you closing Burp gracefully?

Burp User | Last updated: Aug 29, 2018 05:00PM UTC

I am. I'm closing it using the "X", like I do for every windows application. Which is also the same way I used to close v1. But I just tried using the "long" way of "Burp" Menu > "Exit" and it reacts the same way. (since I didn't mention this on the last message, I'm on Win 10 - 1803)

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 30, 2018 07:12AM UTC

Thanks for the additional information. These files aren't anything to worry about, you can go ahead and delete them.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 03, 2018 10:13AM UTC

I'm running v2.0.03beta on Windows Server 2016. I ran a single instance, exited it gracefully, and after opening it again, I was asked if I should delete old tmp files and "199 more". So I can confirm this issue as well.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 03, 2018 10:52AM UTC

Hi Andrej, Thanks for letting us know. This is due to Windows strict enforcement of file locking. Because of how Burp uses these temporary files - as memory mapped files - we can't unlock and delete them. Although slightly annoying, this behavior should not cause any operational issues.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.