Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Unable to Login to Target When Proxying Through Burp

Ben | Last updated: May 10, 2021 02:14PM UTC

My team and I have run into an issue that is seriously obstructing our ability to perform any intercept testing on a target site. Only when proxying we are unable to login to the site. If not proxying we can login just fine. We've checked the credentials over and over and tried saving them in the browser for autocomplete just to make sure there's no mistyping. We are subcontracting for the test and were originally supposed to use a SOCKS proxy provided by the contractor but when we ran into this issue we obtained approval to target the site directly without SOCKS proxy, but it doesn't make a difference whether we're using SOCKS proxy or not. I've tried the following with and without SOCKS proxying enabled. I've also tried to resolve the issue using Burp's Chromium, Firefox, and Chrome but it's the same across browsers. - Tried setting up proxies in Burp specifically for ports 80 and 443 to forward traffic to site addresses according to protocol. - Installed Firefox v58 because some users on your support site found that similar issues did not occur with older versions. - Regenerated the Burp cert over and over, tried exporting different formats, then importing and restarting the browsers. - Changed the Firefox configuration of TLS version fallback limit to 1. I can provide a PDF with screenshots of all the configurations we've tried related to Burp proxy, certs in browsers, and browser configurations. We've done everything we can think of or can find on support sites. We've never seen this before and can only weakly postulate about why it's happening, like that it's an overprotective WAF or some aspect of HSTS with which we're not familiar. We were seriously obstructed from testing this target and really do not want to be obstructed like that in the future, so any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Ben | Last updated: May 10, 2021 02:15PM UTC

We've also tried setting up request forwarding to the domain, forcing TLS or not.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 11, 2021 09:12AM UTC

Hi Benjamin, Thanks for reporting this. Can you please email support@portswigger.net with further screenshots and information? If the site is publicly accessible, please share the URL in your email too.

Peter | Last updated: Oct 17, 2022 03:23AM UTC

Was there ever a fix for this, I'm seeing the same thing...

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 18, 2022 10:02AM UTC

Hi Peter Could you describe the issue you are facing and the steps you've already taken, please? Could you also describe the login functionality on your website? For example, is it a simple username and password, or does it involve a more complex authentication mechanism. Feel free to drop us an email at support@portswigger.net

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.