Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

sslstrip

[ | Last updated: May 10, 2022 04:20PM UTC

in this tutorial: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/tools/proxy/options#Force%20use%20of%20T and in this part: Force use of TLS - If this option is configured, Burp will use HTTPS in all outgoing connections, even if the incoming request used plain HTTP. You can use this option, in conjunction with the TLS-related response modification options, to carry out sslstrip-like attacks using Burp, in which an application that enforces HTTPS can be downgraded to plain HTTP for a victim user whose traffic is unwittingly being proxied through Burp. I really did not understand concept of "victim user"! If i'm intercepting traffic through proxy listeners , and i can see my own requests am i the "victim user"?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 11, 2022 07:22AM UTC

Hi Dan, SSLStrip is a type of MITM attack that forces a victim's browser into communicating with an adversary in plain-text over HTTP, and the adversary proxies the modified content from an HTTPS server. In this situation the 'victim user' would be the one whose traffic you are proxying and performing the protocol downgrade on (bear in mind that this kind of attack is normally carried out in conjunction with some other methods, like setting up bogus WiFi hotspots or ARP poisoning).

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.